- 8/19/2014: 2014 Julius Springer Prize for Applied Physics to Harry Atwater and Albert Polman! See story here and here.
- 8/14/2014: Professor Atwater was featured in an article on Real Business, a digital magazine sponsored by Xerox, which explores innovative ideas across multiple channels, including transportation, customer care, healthcare, human resources, among other areas.
Read "Could the Car of the Future be Solar Powered?" here!
- 6/24/2014: LMI-EFRC is awarded $15M renewal from DOE to expand scientific frontiers of solar energy conversion! See here for more information: DOE press release and Caltech News
- 5/30/2014: Congratulations to Dr. Jeffrey Bosco on his successful thesis defense!
- 5/15/2014: Congratulations to Dr. Emily Kosten on her successful thesis defense!
- 5/9/2014: Congratulations to Dr. Emily Warmann on her successful thesis defense!
- 5/8/2014: Congratulations to Ana Brown for receiving the Link Foundation Energy Fellowship!
- 4/28/2014: Jim Fakonas' paper on Two Plasmon Quantum Interference is published; see paper here!
News and Views article about it here and press: here and here and here!
- 4/24/2014: Congratulations to Jeff Bosco and Emily Kosten on their exciting Materials Research Society Graduate Student Gold Awards!!
- 2/10/2014: See Harry Atwater's interview on the Caltech homepage!
- 11/11/2013: Congratulations to Ray Weitekamp for taking home second place in the Sustainability Innovation Student Challenge Award (SISCA) challenge!
- 11/7/2013: Congratulations to Michelle Sherrott on her Resnick Institute Graduate Research Fellow award!
- 10/22/2013: The Department of Energy has announced it is awarding $16 million to four projects "that will help develop solar devices that near the theoretical efficiency limits of single junction solar cells, or about 30 percent efficiency." ASU, in collaboration with the Atwater Group, is one of the F-PACE II awardees and plans to create a novel device structure for ultra-thin crystalline silicon (c-Si) solar cells with targeted efficiencies of 29%
- 9/3/2013: A-team researchers hold new record for light confinement in nanophotonic resonators! See news item in Nature Photonics and Nano Letters paper here
- 8/28/2013: Harry discusses his vision for ACS Photonics here!
- 8/27/2013: Harry Atwater named founding Editor-in-Chief of ACS Photonics, a new interdisciplinary journal of photonic science and technology
- 8/19/2013: Visit the Resnick Institute's website to see Dr. Atwater's recent presentation at the Intersolar conference on innovative photovoltaic technology.
- 6/1/2013: Congratulations to Matt Shaner on becoming a Resnick Institute Graduate Research Fellow!
- 6/1/2013: Dr. Atwater and his research group made MIT Technology Review's list of 10 Breakthrough Technologies of 2013!
- 5/30/2013: Congratulations, Dr. Stanley Burgos, on your successful thesis defense!
- 5/30/2013: Congratulations, Dr. Daniel Turner-Evans, on your successful thesis defense!
- 2/13/2013: Congratulations to Dr. Davis Darvish on his successful thesis defense!
- 2/13/2013: Congratulations to Dr. Michael Deceglie on his successful thesis defense! We wish him well as he starts his new position at NREL!
- 2/1/2013: The Atwater Group was awarded a $2.4 million grant by ARPA-E to fund their quest to develop ultra-high efficiency photovoltaics. Read about it here!
- 12/11/2012: Congratulations to Dr. Andrew Leenheer on his successful defense!
- 12/3/2012: Congratulations to Dr. Min Seok Jang on his successful thesis defense! We wish him the best of luck at Seoul National University.
- 6/20/2012: The Light-Material Interactions in Energy Conversion EFRC and the Resnick Sustainability Institute are offering a one-day workshop focused on new materials and processes for overcoming the Shockley-Queisser limit of solar energy conversion efficiency. The workshop will be held on Sunday, July 29th at Caltech.
- 5/17/2012: Congratulations to Dr. Harry Atwater and Dr. Albert Polman for receiving the 2012 Eni Award in "Renewable, Non-conventional Energy" for their outstanding contribution to solar energy technology by creating highly efficient, ultra-thin solar cells at reduced construction costs! Learn More Here!
- 2/21/2012: New paper in Nature Materials maps the path forward for ultrahigh efficiency photovoltaics!
- 2/15/2012: Congratulations to Dr. Krista Langeland on her successful thesis defense!
- 1/12/2012: Paper on light trapping beyond the ray optic limit is out! It's described here at Nature.com
| The Atwater
news archive exists to catalog significant events in
Archived News Items:
- 1/12/2012: Jonathan Grandidier wins the SPIE Photonics West Green Photonics Award 2012!
- 11/2/2011: Koray Aydin's work on ultrathin broadband plasmonic super absorbers is published in Nature Communications and is also reported in Technology Review!
- 9/30/2011: Congratulations to Dr. Gerald Miller on his successful thesis defense!
- 9/30/2011: Congratulations to Dr. Greg Kimball on his successful thesis defense!
- 8/10/2011: Congratulations to Andrew and Becky Leenheer on the birth of their son!
- 8/10/2011: Congratulations to the A-team on their historic softball championship win!
- 6/8/2011: Congratulations to Dr. Imogen Pryce on her successful thesis defense!
- 6/1/2011: Congratulations to Dr. Vivian Ferry on her successful thesis defense!
- 6/1/2011: Congratulations to Dr. Ryan Briggs on his successful thesis defense!
- 6/1/2011: Congratulations to Vivian Ferry and Imogen Pryce on both receiving the MRS 2011 Gold Student Award!
- 5/31/2011: Professor Atwater was interviewed on MSNBC's "The Dylan Ratigan Show"
- 4/26/2011: The Light-Material Interactions in Energy Conversion EFRC's video was selected as one of five winners of the Life at the Frontiers of Energy Research video contest! Watch on YouTube.
- 4/25/2011: Congratulations to Kate Fountaine, 2011 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship winner!
- 4/25/2011: Congratulations to Carissa Eisler, 2011 NDSEG Fellowship winner!
- 4/25/2011: Harry A. Atwater, Jr., Howard Hughes Professor and Professor of Applied Physics and Materials Science; and Director of Resnick Institute, has been elected a 2011 Materials Research Society (MRS) Fellow. The title of MRS Fellow honors those MRS members who are notable for their distinguished research accomplishments and their outstanding contributions to the advancement of materials research, world-wide.
- 2/7/2011: Professors Atwater and Lewis were interviewed by the LA Times about the Joint Center for Artificial Photosynthesis, which was referenced by President Obama in his State of the Union address!
- 2/2/2011: Professor Atwater and Alexandra Boltasseva describe approaches to achieving Low-Loss Plasmonic Metamaterials in their January 21st Science perspectives article.
- 1/27/2011: Professor Atwater was interviewed on KFI's "The Bill Carroll Show," the #1 rated midday news talk show in Southern California.
- 1/7/2011: High-performance silicon microwire photovoltaics published in Energy & Environmental Science
- 11/2/2010: A-Team wins Popular Mechanics 2010 Breakthrough Innovation Award for Si Wire Solar Cells.
- 10/15/2010: Compliant Optical Metamaterials by Imogen Pryce and Dr. Koray Aydin is published in Nano Letters and
featured on MIT Technology Review.
- 8/10/2010: Si microwire-array solar cells published in Energy & Environmental Science.
- 5/5/2010: See news (1 2 3 4) about the recent Nature Materials paper on single-layer wide-angle negative index metamaterials from the A-Group’s Stan Burgos and Rene de Waele of AMOLF.
- 4/28/2010: Silicon wire technology featured on Wired website. Read More
- 4/19/2010: Resonant Guided Wave Networks featured in Physical Review Focus. Read More
- 4/7/2010: Congratulations to Morgan Putnam for receiving the MRS Graduate Student Gold Award at the Spring 2010 MRS Meeting!
- 3/1/2010: Harry Atwater has been chosen for the Fred Kavli Distinguished Lectureship In Nanoscience at Spring 2010 MRS Meeting! Read More.
- 2/16/2010: Atwater Group members develop highly absorbing Si wire arrays for mechanically flexible solar cells. Read the press release, or the full article published in Nature Materials.
- 9/8/2009: Congratulations to Dr. Kenneth Diest on his successful thesis defense!
- 1/18/2009: Professor Atwater is interviewed on CNN Local Edition News. Watch.
- 11/21/2008: Students from the Atwater Group help install a solar panel array on the roof of Watson. Read article.
- 7/16/2008: The Atwater Group welcomes postdoc Koray Aydin!
- 7/9/2008: Congratulations to Anna Hiszpanski on her Kavli Nanoscience Insititute Undergraduate Fellowship!
- 7/9/2008: Congratulations to Andrew Leenheer on his Applied Materials Fellowship Award!
- 7/9/2008: The Atwater Group welcomes Emily Warmann and Dan Turner Evans!
- 6/5/2008: Congratulations to Davis Darvish for a successful candidacy exam!
- 5/27/2008: Congratulations to Ryan Briggs for a successful candidacy exam!
- 5/27/2008: Melissa Archer wins the 2008 Caltech Demetriades-Tsafka-Kokkalis Prize in Environmentally Benign Renewable Energy Sources for her PhD thesis
- 5/24/2008: Katsu Tanabe wins the Outstanding Student Paper award at the 33rd IEEE Photovoltaics Specialists Conference for his paper on plasmonic solar cells
- 5/23/2008: Congratulations to Dr. Luke Sweatlock on his successful thesis defense!
- 5/21/2008: Congratulations to Dr. Katsu Tanabe on his successful thesis defense!
- 5/8/2008: Congratulations to Dr. Melissa Archer on her successful thesis defense!
- 4/1/2008: Congratulations to Stanley Burgos, 2008 NSF Graduate Fellowship recipient!
- 3/26/2008: Nature features wire arrays in solar fuels news article
- 3/4/2008: Congratulations to MRS Student Award Finalists Melissa Archer and Jennifer Dionne!
- 12/19/2007: Nanowire arrays for photovoltaic applications featured in MIT Technology Review
- 11/30/2007: Congratulations to Brendan Kayes on his MRS Graduate Student Award!
- 11/15/2007: Welcome to our new post-doc, Deirdre O'Carroll!
- 10/12/2007: Work on silicon nanowire solar cells highlighted in Science
- 8/15/2007: Welcome Rene de Waele, visiting student from the FOM Institute!
- 7/2/2007: Domenico Pacifici and Henri Lezec report on an all-optical plasmonic modulator in the cover article of Nature Photonics
- 6/30/2007: Congratulations to Carrie Hofmann on her wedding!
- 5/24/2007: Congratulations to Dr. Robb Walters on his successful thesis defense!
- 5/18/2007: Congratulations to Krista Langeland on passing her candidacy exam!
- 5/4/2007: Congratulations to Greg Kimball on receiving the NDSEG fellowship!
- 4/20/2007: Henri Lezec and Jen Dionne report on the first demonstration of negative refraction at visible frequencies in Science
- 4/14/2007: Congratulations to Melissa Archer on her wedding!
- 4/3/2007: The Promise of Plasmonics by Professor Atwater appears on the cover of Scientific American
- 2/5/2007: Congratulations to Dr. Jennifer Ruglovsky on her successful thesis defense!
- 10/26/2006: Caltech Center for Sustainable Energy Research founded with $6.5M Moore Foundation award: see press release
- 10/10/2006: Congratulations to Carrie Ross on passing her candidacy exam!
- 10/1/2006: Plasmon slot waveguide featured news in Nature Materials: see article
- 9/15/2006: Harry Atwater gives lecture on "Photovoltaics: Meeting the TeraWatt Challenge": click here for more information
- 7/20/2006: Caltech teams with MIT, Stanford, and others to build Si-based laser: click here for more information
- 7/18/2006: Congratulations to Domenico Pacifici on his marriage!
- 6/27/2006: BP teams with Caltech to make nanostructured solar devices: see press release
- 6/23/2006: Caltech and FOM Institute work on plasmon wave observation highlighted in Science: see article
- 5/25/2006: Congratulations to Dr. Julie Biteen on her successful thesis defense!
- 3/7/2006: Congratulations to Christine Richardson and Robb Walters for being selected as MRS Graduate Student Award Finalists!
- 2/27/2006: Congratulations to Julie Biteen on passing her Props Exam!
- 12/5/2005: New Plasmonics Gordon Conference to be held July 23-28, 2006 Link.
- 11/28/2005: Congratulations to MRS Student Award winner Julie Biteen! See Julie's Latest Paper
- 10/3/2005: Congratulations to Ph.D. candidate Jen Dionne!
- 9/1/2005: NSF makes $11.1 M award to Caltech Center for Science and Engineering of Materials Press Release
- 5/23/2005: Congratulations to Jen Dionne, Best Poster Award winner at Surface Plasmon Photonics 2, Graz Austria!
- 5/1/2005: MRS Bulletin special issue on plasmonics See Article.
- 1/11/2005: Materials Today editorial on plasmonics See Editorial.
- 9/23/2004: Silicon Nanocrystal Optoelectronics in Laser Focus World.
- 9/23/2004: Field effect electroluminescence reported in Nature Materials (Walters, et.al.) See Article and Editorial